Key Club hosts Book Drive

Ellie Vasbinder, Writer

As time goes on, our points of interest change and so do the books we read. The books we used to read pile up and get shoved into boxes to be put in the basement. Maybe from when you were younger and still crawling, or a book you read last semester and know you will not pick up again. Either way, donating is a way to share the love of literature and give others the chance to stay caught up on their summer.

“Books are going to an organization called Delivering Hope,” Key Club president sophomore Jamie Elrod said. “They take the books that are donated and distribute them to Fenton, Lake Fenton and Linden schools so students can read over the summer.”

Students and staff are encouraged to donate any extra books, new or old, as long as they are in exceptional condition. Literature can be from any age group or genre, though aimed toward children and young adult books. All content must be school appropriate.

“The goal of the book drive is to donate quality books to students in our district who do not have access to good books,” Elrod said. “It started because children can lose up to two-three months of learning over the course of summer break. With this book drive children will have access to books so they can continue to learn and read over summer vacation.”

Donations end May 31st and can be dropped off in the designated boxes in the office or media center.