Fenton wins annual Wounded Warrior game

Cameron Mathews, Writer

*All photos by Makenzie Cool

In the United States, many people enroll in the Armed Forces every year; many whom are wounded in battle. The Wounded Warrior Project is an organization that helps honor and empower those who have been wounded.

“The point of the Project is to honor the Wounded Warriors that have been injured in battle,” head football coach Jeff Setzke said. “It was introduced to us about six years ago when I first heard about one of our former students getting injured in battle.”

The annual Wounded Warrior Project game has been happening since 2009. Within those five years, the games have produced more than $70,000 going toward the cause.

“We’re hoping to make about $30,000 this year; hopefully exceeding the $100,000 in the past five years.” Setzke said. “We’re also hoping that we are spreading more awareness about the Project, since it is about the Veterans and other heroes on that night.”

Fenton was not the only team raising money; Flushing was also raising money for the cause.

“Although I don’t have an exact amount of money raised this year,” Setzke said. “I would say that between Fenton and Flushing, we raised between $25,000 and $30,000.”

Fenton took the win, 49-21. After the game, more than 100 veterans were honored by both Fenton and Flushing students.

_MG_9222 copy