Behind the scenes look at the mascot Paws

Sam Campbell, Writer

The crowd cheers as the team runs across home territory preparing for the competition ahead. During the commotion, out pops Paws, the masked teen whose identity is kept a secret.

“It is very important to keep Paws’ identity a secret,” Athletic Director Michael Bakker said. “With people knowing who the mascot is, their friends will joke with them and think it’s funny. The mascot is there to represent the school, not him/herself as an individual.”

Because of the role Paws plays in representing the school, the administration considers a number of aspects before selecting a new representative.

“There are no tryouts to be the mascot,” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “The mascot job is given to a student who shows interest and school spirit. Before the student becomes the mascot, I check his or her background to make sure rules will be followed.”

Each mascot got the job in a different way.

“I have always wanted to be Paws,” the current Paws said. “I asked Mr. Bakker if I could be Paws. The day I signed up, I worked the homecoming parade.”
The mascot is required to make appearances at all high school varsity boys basketball and football games. Suchowski has a plan so Paws can make an appearance at most, if not all, of the games to cheer on the team and pump up the crowd.

“Paws being at games depends on his/her availability,” Suchowski said. “Some years we have more than one person serve as our mascot. With more than one person, Paws can be at more events.”

It can be difficult at times to maintain this secrecy; Paws must also remain silent, and so must his escort, a friend who accompanies Paws to at the events.
“It’s difficult to keep my identity a secret,” Paws said. “People will just run up to me and lift my mouth to see who is underneath the mask. I also worry that my escort will tell people who I am.”

On the sidelines and in the crowd is Paws, the Fenton Tigers’ number one fan. “My favorite part of my job is seeing the little kids at the sporting events,” Paws said. “The kids are always so excited. They always give me hugs and take pictures with me.”