National Reading Month kicks off with Dr. Seuss’s birthday March 2

Cameron Mathews, Writer

National Reading Month began March 2 with the celebration of renowned children’s author Dr. Seuss’ birthday. The National Education Association, in partnership with Dr. Seuss Enterprises, will help sponsor activities for the 18th consecutive year.

“Reading is very important for our education. It’s crucial that we set aside a month in tribute to it,” sophomore Brooke Holmes said. “Realistic fiction and fantasy books help engage readers and create imagination. The most recent book I read was a fiction piece by Jodi Lynn Anderson called ‘Peaches.’”

Read Across America Day has grown into the nation’s largest reading observance with more than 45 million participating.

“There are thousands of books in our media center. There are 11 different sub-genres in the fiction section alone,” media specialist Rachael Hodges said. “There is also a mix of both nonfiction and fiction genres together; the most popular genres are fantasy and realistic fiction.”

Reading helps people connect with the world around them. The genre realistic fiction helps tell stories to which the reader can relate.

“The book ‘Night Shade’ by Andrea Cremer is a good example of realistic fiction,” junior Lexy Crawford said. “The book really comes to life because it seems so real as I am reading it; it’s very easy for me to relate to it. It also has many elements, such as humor and romance, that can appeal to teenage girls.”

Historical fiction novels provide the reader with logic and facts. It helps them get a better understanding of historic events, but they must keep in mind the book is a fictionalize account.

“I really like nonfiction; I find facts mentioned in the books interesting and easily relates to life,” freshman Luke Dillingham said, “The book ‘This Blinding Absence of Light’ by Tahar Ben Jelloun talks about how horrible people can be; it also helps people put their problems into perspective, and makes them think about how some people’s problems are much worse than their own.”

Reader’s have the opportunity to make their own connections to a book. Because of this, readers can open their minds to new possibilities in the world.

“The ‘Harry Potter’ series is one of my favorites; J.K. Rowling does a great job,” senior Manon Steel said. “The books show growth within the characters, and they tell great messages. Reading them has helped me get a better image of the world.”

In conjunction with Read Across America, Dr. Seuss’s “Kid, You’ll Move Mountains” nationwide search for kids ages 5—18 who excel in the areas of STEAM—Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math—kicks off. Visit www.kidsmovingmountains.com to learn more.