Traveling across the globe helps students understand cultures

Jennifer Eisenbeis, Writer

The Earth is 200 billion square miles, consisting of seven continents and 195 countries. Airplanes, boats and passports allow people to travel to countries all over the world. Some students have visited different countries all over the world. Bringing back not only memories of their journey, but knowledge of a country’s culture and past different from the ones they live in today.

Islands in the Tropics are characterized for their warm weather and palm trees. These islands attract not only tourists, but beach-goers who are looking to spend days on their white sand, sunny beaches.

Foreign exchange student senior Celina Oddenes skis with a friend in on Mount Norefjell in Norway. “My friend has a cabin up there so I usually go with her once or twice a year,” Oddenes said. “I like to do cross country skiing because it’s a great exercise, and slalom skiing is fast.”
Submitted Photo

“When I was 11 years old, I went to an island called Turks and Caicos,” freshman Sydney Stossel said. “The ocean was pretty; the beaches had white sand and it was really relaxing. I enjoyed playing in the ocean and on the beach. I don’t remember exactly what the food I ate was called, but I remember that it was good.”

A popular tourist destination is the Bahamas. Sophomore Jack Hall has been there and stayed in a luxury resort and has many memories from his trips there a few years ago.

“I’ve gone to the Bahamas twice,” Hall said. “There was a beach where it had one palm tree at the end and we took a coconut from it, went back to our room, and drank the milk from it.”

While many students have traveled to different countries, some have had the opportunity to live overseas. While they were living there, they got the opportunity to travel to nearby countries.

“I lived in Unterschleissheim, Germany,” sophomore Demerie Ruiz said. “I’ve also been to France, Italy, Spain, the Czech Republic, Austria, Croatia, Holland, Amsterdam, the Netherlands and England.”

Living in Germany and traveling to many different countries has exposed Ruiz to many cultures.

“Traveling taught me a skill that I use often: how to pack only what I really need to. It’s also taught me how to act with people from different cultures and how to respect them.” Ruiz said.

Sophomore Demerie Ruiz stands with her younger brother, Camryn, in front of ancient Greek ruins at Sicily, an island off the coast of Italy. "It was one of my favorite places to go when we went with my dad's coworker who is Italian," Ruiz said. "I liked it because the weather was sub-tropical and there were black sand beaches."
Submitted Photo
Sophomore Demerie Ruiz stands with her younger brother, Camryn, in front of ancient Greek ruins at Sicily, an island off the coast of Italy. “It was one of my favorite places to go when we went with my dad’s coworker who is Italian,” Ruiz said. “I liked it because the weather was sub-tropical and there were black sand beaches.”

Another person who lived in Germany is junior Sam Strickhouser. While Strickhouser was living in Germany, he traveled to many different places and went skiing in the Alps.

“I lived in Konigstein for three years,” Strickhouser said. “I’ve also traveled to France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Poland, Turkey, Greece and Canada. The coolest thing I have ever done was go skiing on the Alps in Austria. It was fun, and it was beautiful. Traveling has taught me to be a risk taker,” Strickhouser said. “It’s taught me to try new things and find out the unknown.”

The Earth has 195 countries on it and students at Fenton have had the opportunity to visit more than 18. They have been to places that some people will never have the opportunity to go to in their lives. From the Tropics to the Alps, Fenton students have traveled all over the world, and continue to share their experiences with people today.