Girls varsity soccer heads to State Semifinals

Shealyn Mandle, Assistant Editor

One game away from making Fenton soccer history, the girls varsity team prepares to play Trenton in the State Semifinal match on June 9.

“We had to play and win four games to get where we are right now, two for Districts and two for Regionals,” alumnus Carly Granger said. “The one thing on my mind right now is having as much time with my team as possible.”

In districts the team beat Holly 1-0 and Linden 3-1. In regionals they beat Clio 4-0 and Regina 1-0.

“It means everything, to be able to play for so long with these girls and be one of the few teams left in the state,” junior Brianna Costigan said. “The last time Fenton soccer has made it this far was two years ago and if we win the state semifinals, we will be the first team in girls varsity soccer history at Fenton.”

For the seniors on the team, it is very rare to still be playing in high school. Many, like alumnus Brennan Sullivan, are taking advantage of every second.

“It feels amazing to have made it this far, especially since it’s my senior year and because I get to keep playing with my team longer than most get to,” Sullivan said. “Today at practice we worked on all of things that we’ve been working on all season and just had fun and cherished the time we had left.”

The tigers will be playing tomorrow, at 6 pm on the West Bloomfield high school field.

“We don’t know much about Trenton yet, I know they have beat a few great teams,” junior Emma Flannery said. “We have come far and we are ready to come out and fight hard because Trenton is going to want it as bad as we do. It’s going to be a great fight, but we will go out there and have fun.”

“The thing that separates our team from others is that our team is all about love. It’s in our chant and you can see it on the field,” alumnus Miranda Crews said. “Tomorrow I don’t care if we win or lose because I know when we walk off that field to get on the bus we will always be as close as we were when we started the game.”