AGS teachers join high school staff

Alexis Megdanoff, Editor in Chief

With vacancies from layoffs and extended absences, two teachers from AGS Middle School were transferred to the high school to teach English and science classes. Neither teacher has been at the high school level for the past 10 years and have answered some questions about themselves in order for students to learn more about them.

IMG_2431 copyPHOTO Alyssa Branoff
Teacher Rebecca Kelly is entering her 17th year of teaching and has never taught at a high school. Kelly taught 5th grade for the first nine years and then a combination of 6th, 7th and 8th the past seven. For her first year as a high school teacher, she is teaching physical science classes and has an SRT.

What was your favorite subject when you were in high school?
Biology

Where did you get your teaching certificate?

Eastern Michigan and then Marygrove College for my Graduate

What’s your favorite movie?
Anything with Chris Farley

What’s your favorite book?
I have read a ton by Kirsten Hannah, whom is one of my favorite authors. She wrote a book called Night Road and I think that every student should read it their freshman year. It’s a very powerful book about growing up and what happens with decisions that you make that will last a lifetime.

What is your least favorite food?
Squid

Who is your favorite historical figure and why?
I have to go with Mother Teresa on this one. She was always putting others before her and truly lived a selfless life. There are too many selfish people in this world today.

IMG_2446 copyPHOTO Alyssa Branoff
Teacher Lisa McGill taught high school before for one year as a permanent substitute after returning from a two year stay in southeast Asia and has taught at the middle school for the past 10 years. This year she is teaching all of the Literature and Composition 3 classes and SRT.

English was my favorite subject, of course. But I sure did love gym and art classes, too.

I graduated from Alma College.

What’s your favorite movie?
Picking one favorite book and movie is tough. Some of my favorite movies are: “Rudy,” “Meet Joe Black,” “Forest Gump,” and as of recently, “War Room.”

What’s your favorite book?
Some favorite books are: This Much I Know is True by Wally Lamb, The Other Bolyen Girl by Philippa Gregory, The Outsiders by S.E Hinton, Love you Forever by Robert Munsch, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Catcher in the Rye by R. D Salinger, and, as of this summer, I read a lot of Elizabeth Berg’s novels.

What is your least favorite food?
Kimchi (rotten cabbage), a staple in the Korean diet.

Rosa Parks: her determination and courage was admirable and her beliefs hold true today.