Wounded Warrior game ignites community participation on 9/11

Myla Wolosonowich, Writer

Since 2012, the Fenton football boosters have worked with the Wounded Warrior Project to honor the veterans that have served the country by hosting a home game where the team raises money to be donated to the project. This particular game is popular among the student body at Fenton because of the amount that is raised for the veterans.

“The Wounded Warrior Project is special for the whole community because most people are there to support the people who risk their lives for our country,” senior Cassidy Curtis said. “This game is my favorite because it is a lot of fun and the whole community comes together and gives support for the project.”

Each player wears a specialized jersey to represent one veteran while playing. The last name of the veteran appears on the back of the jersey and after the game there is a ceremony on the field where the player hands his jersey to his sponsor.

“It makes me feel very proud to being able to be part of the wounded warrior game,” senior
Peyton Coffman said. “I get to honor the soldier who fought for the freedom of our country.”

wpid-wp-1442787588091.jpegPHOTO SUBMITTED BY Alexis Megdanoff

With the players wearing the names of veterans on the field, the rest of the student body supports their country and team with spirit wear and shirts sold by the Wounded Warrior Project. Proceeds from the shirt sales are donated to Wounded Warrior.

“It is a big responsibility to come on time to the games and to get the chants going right away,” senior Nick Melero said. “Wounded Warrior game was a special game to the community so I had to make it special by being the loudest the section could be.”

While Melero is in the stands during the game getting the student section loud out on the track a robot built by the Titanium Tigers robotics team carried the school flag across the track after every touchdown. The robot was originally built by the robotics team and was modified for the game by the CADD engineering class.

“People of all ages were coming up to the track and saying that the robot looked very nice and it was cool to see what the high schoolers could do,” junior Mikko Huotari said. “The robot was a robot from two years ago we did extra modifications the night before. To make it special for the game we put a Wounded Warrior symbol on the side and created a way for the flag to be held.”

With the student section getting rowdy, the football players scoring touchdowns, the robotics and CADD team showing their support, the band played patriotic music for the pre-game and halftime show to represent the veterans who have served our country.

“We played God Bless America for the pre-game show to honor the veterans and also to honor of 9/11,” senior Leah Lynch said. “It was special to play that song for the veterans because it would people feel something and make the night even more heartfelt.”

With the robot driving back and forth the cheerleaders were behind the robot getting involved with the student section, and getting involved with the cheering for the players out on the field and cheering for the veterans.

“My favorite part of the Wounded Warrior game is getting to see the people who have honored our country by having the player’s hand them their jersey at the end of the game,” senior Hailey Tallman said. “It is a lot more fun when the student section cheers; it motivates us to cheer louder.”

Junior Zach West reaches for a touchdown while being held back by a Swartz Creek player.
PHOTO Wilson Personett
Junior Zach West reaches for a touchdown while being held back by a Swartz Creek defender.

At the end of the game, Fenton beat Swartz Creek 41-20. If anyone wishes to donate money directly to the Wounded Warrior Project, donations can be made on their website. (Click here)