Tigers take down the Bronchos and advance to Districts vs Midland Dow

Brendan Triola, Writer

Sophomore Josh Czarnota plummeted his way in for a 26 yard touchdown, leading the Tigers to a 21-20 victory against the Holly Bronchos on Friday Oct 30. The Tigers ran a new offensive formation called “Tripod,” which featured three running backs, one tight end, one wide receiver, and two running backs lined up parallel to the quarterback, with one of them a few yards behind him.

“We’ve never run that formation this year and we worked on it in practice all week,” Czarnota said. “We wanted to surprise Holly with it and try to catch them off guard.”

Throughout the game, the Tigers scored three touchdowns. The first was a 70 yard touchdown pass to junior Greg Lukas, followed by a run by senior Shane Kolinski and a quarterback scamper by Czarnota. Lukas’s touchdown catch was off of a broken route, but was still executed as it tied the game at 7-7 during the first half.

“I was just supposed to run a 7 yard stop route,” Lukas said. “But I wanted to stop at the first down. When I turned and saw the ball, I just went for it. It wasn’t supposed to go that way but it worked out.”

After a couple more scores it was 21-14 during the fourth quarter and the Broncos scored a touchdown with just 29.1 seconds left. The score was then 21-20, and instead of attempting an extra point to send the game to overtime, the Bronchos elected to go for the two-point conversion. After the Bronchos failed to convert the two-point conversion, the Tigers recovered the kickoff and sealed victory.

The Tigers (9-1) will have a week to prepare to host Midland Dow (9-1) this Friday, Nov 6 to see who will take the district title.