Sophomore Taylor Shegos breaks three diving records at the Flint Metro League Championships

Cameron Mathews, Sports Editor

As the varsity girls swim and dive team dominated over the other teams at the Metro swim meet, with many girls placing first in 11 of 12 events, sophomore Taylor Shegos placed first in diving, she also broke three diving records on Nov 7.

“I broke the Metro record, which was about 407 points, the pool record at Brandon, which was about 360 points, and our own varsity record, which was about 430 points,” Shegos said. “For Metros, we have to dive 11 dives, which is more than what we would do at dual meets. We get scored by five judges, and the median three scores get used per dive, and that score is multiplied by the diving difficulty.”

Having scored well during the meet, Shegos’ score added up to be about 460 points, giving her the Metro title for diving.

“I was really happy to find out I had broken a record, let alone three, that day,” Shegos said. “I had been working so hard in and out of the season, and both my coach and I were happy with the result. He had told me that was very proud of me, and that made me feel even happier with my performance.”

In total, Shegos broke four diving records this past season; the three 11-dive records, and the 6-dive record broken in the month of October. Shegos will be diving at the regional meet on Nov 12 and will be held at Fenton High School.