Culver’s hosts fundraiser on Dec. 7 for the InPrint staff

Lauren Koscielniak, Writer

Once again this year, the InPrint and Culver’s are joining forces to help the publication staff raise money. The proceeds from the Dec. 7 event will go toward a trip to the Columbia National Scholastic Press Association Spring Conference in New York. It also aids the newspaper and online works in terms of production, as well as individual funding for MIPA.

“It [money] is incredibly important. That’s why we often do fundraisers and bake sales, to be able to update things like cameras and the design software, and to help pay for the printing process,” Sports Editor Michael Pearce said. “The benefits to being properly funded are huge – we could easily add more pages to each issue of the paper if need be instead of cutting them because of budget limitations. With funding for technology, we could improve the photography aspect of our final editions as well.”

Last year, over $500 was made by all fundraisers publications hosted. These helped several students offset prices for their summer MIPA trip; everyone got a ration of $33. MIPA is beneficial to every branch of publications by educating the students about their role in class. Gaining knowledge for a certain position will improve the quality of the Fentonian and InPrint, which is better for all who create and acquire them. Preserving the honor of top 50 high school newspapers in the nation (Golden Crown) is included in the benefits of attending the program.

“When going to MIPA, not only are you learning more about journalism or photography, you also get to see what college could be like,” News Editor Ellie Bennett said. “When I was there I took an editor’s class and I learned about how to edit stories and page designs, as well as how to get your staff to have a positive attitude while working. This class helped me calm my nerves for the year ahead which meant more confidence within my job.”

Publications staff will be at Culver’s from 5-7 p.m. on Wednesday Dec 7. Come out to enjoy some good food and ice cream, while helping Fenton Publications deliver its newest edition.