Varsity volleyball loses to Novi 3-0 in State Semifinals

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

After getting to a level of the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) playoffs that have never before been reached by a Fenton Volleyball team, this year’s volleyball team lost to the number one ranked in the state, Novi, 3-0 in the state semifinals.

“I think we were all upset about the loss, mostly because we knew this great season had to come to an end,” senior captain Elizabeth Thomas said. “Lots of people didn’t think we could make it this far. After we came back and beat Linden from behind in districts, I knew we had the fire and the fight to make it this far.”

As one of the last four teams left in the state, the varsity team has been practicing and competing since the summer. With months spent together, the underclassmen have learned points to build upon for the next season.

“I’ve learned that no matter what, it takes all 14 girls on the team to make the team play as well as we do,” junior Skylar Mathews said. “Without all the support and cheering from the girls not on the court, we wouldn’t be able to get as far as we can.”

Despite losing, the members of the team still hold optimism and good feelings toward the season.

“It was super fun,” Thomas said. “We had shocked the volleyball world. It was a great way to end my senior year and I loved every second of it.”