Staff Ed: Post-secondary education is necessary

Staff Editorial, Opinion

STAFF ED: The staff selects a topic for each issue and votes to determine the direction the editorial will take. The majority rules and the editorial is written from that angle.

AT ISSUE: Does higher education aid the pursuit of a successful career in the future?

OUR VIEW: Yes. A higher education does aid in the pursuit of a successful career in the future.

The year 2016 has seen the job market become more competitive than ever before. With scarce pickings, it seems like a nearly impossible task for millennials to launch themselves into today’s job market.

Because of the competitive market, it is more important than ever that young people have something that sets them apart and makes them stand out in the working world. The “it” factor that sets people apart is the possession of a college degree or type of a higher level education after high school. Holding a college diploma is more valuable than ever to millennials.

For the first time ever, the labor force is made up of more people with higher level education than those without it. While in the past, individuals were able find employment without a college degree, that is no longer a viable option. Education standards for employment have increased. Many employers require that job applicants have some type of training or credentials from a reputable source, such as a college or university.

According to CareerBuilder.com, in the past two years, 40 percent of jobs that were at one point held by people with only a high school diploma now require at least a bachelor’s degree for the same position.

Job opportunities as a whole are greater for college educated individuals. A study by Georgetown University found that in 11.6 million jobs created by the Obama administration in the wake of the 2008 Great Recession, 74 percent of those jobs went to people with at least a bachelor’s degree and 25 percent of jobs went to people with some college education or an associates degree. That left only one percent of jobs available to those with only a high school diploma.

Job retainment is also higher for individuals with a college degree. In times of economic recession, college graduates are more likely to retain a job than those with only a high school education. The average unemployment rate for individuals with a college education is 2.5 percent, while the rate for individuals with only a high school education is 5.8 percent.

A college degree is absolutely necessary for obtaining a profession. The specialized knowledge that comes with a college diploma will make an individual more qualified. It is never too late to take a step toward improving job applicability, and it is never the wrong choice. Finding a college or trade school to aid with securing a financial future can be as easy as talking to your counselor and finding a path that works for you. No matter what your career path is, college is a necessary step in getting there.