Genesee Career Institute builds workplace and life skills

Gracie Warda

Every day, hundreds of students attend classes at the FHS campus in preparation for future careers; but some students, like senior Natalie Miller, get hands-on practice for their chosen career field daily through the Genesee Career Institute.

“I heard people enjoyed it,” Miller said. “And I wanted to make sure nursing is what I want to do with my life. One class at GCI is worth 4 credits at Fenton, it’s everyday, And there’s more opportunity to specifically study something you’re interested in.”

GCI is an addition to public schools, where upperclassmen can begin working in their field of choice and some can earn a license by the time they graduate.

“They have everything from engineering to welding, automotive,” counselor Vicky Russell said.”If you go through their cosmetology program you could graduate with your license. The same with emergency medical, someone who works in an ambulance, you can take these classes and do the hours and by the time you graduate high school you would be very close to getting your license and an adult job.”

Soon, students will be choosing classes, and they may wonder about the differences between GCI and the IB program. While the IB program is more aimed towards college, many programs at GCI can lead straight to a career.

“They’re very different. It [GCI] is much more hands-on, more oriented towards working and a specific career,”Russell said. “Where IB would be more aimed towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree, it’s more college-bound.”

Junior Jenni Skipper is in the Digital Media Arts program at GCI, which she hopes will lead to a career in cinematography.

“I love GCI,” Skipper said. “I take digital media arts, which is mainly films and audio work. You learn so much more there, with industry level work. And we take trips to colleges and production sites to see what opportunities we have after high school. Plus, they just redid almost every program at GCI so it’s all upgraded with the best technology. They changed everything; all equipment is new, and same with the classrooms.”

Russell says that students tend to like GCI because of the real-world atmosphere and hands-on learning style.

“You can get all these real-world skills. Usually kids that go there really like it because it’s so hands-on.” Russell said. “If you’re in the nursing program, for example, you can actually go to the hospital, all three area hospitals and work in the delivery area or work in the ER. You really just get exposed to a lot of things that you can’t get in a classroom.”

Anyone with questions about GCI or anyone who wishes to attend should contact their counselor.