IB Theatre “To Kill A Mockingbird” play casts Dramatic Arts students

Delaney Bryson, Writer

Although “To Kill A Mockingbird” is being produced by the members of IB Theatre, students who are not in the class will also be taking part. Cast in the roles of Boo Radley and Calpurnia, sophomore dramatic arts students Dylan Dockins and Kaylin Frazier find themselves in the middle of a production that is led by more experienced actors and actresses.

“When Mrs. Thompson told me that the IB theatre was putting on the play ‘To Kill A Mockingbird,’ she told me that I could have a small part, because it’s only my first year taking drama,” Dockins said. “Then, a week later, she told me that she would like me as Boo Radley, which really surprised me. Being cast as such an important character is a pretty cool feeling, and it’s given me
a lot of new experiences.”

With this new activity occupying their agenda, Dockins and Frazier are working on finding new ways to help balance their schedules.

Thursday, Feb. 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 4 at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 5 at 2:30 p.m.

“When I first learned I would be playing Boo Radley, I was very excited. But I realized I also had to balance out school, swimming, and this play, so other than being excited, I had to figure out a way to do well in all three of these things at once,” Dockins said. “For school, I just try my best to stay on top of it. But with the play and swim I try to work with a schedule that will provide equal time for both without creating too much conflict in between.”

Along with finding new ways to balance their schedules, this is the first time these students have acted in front of experienced IB theatre members.

“When acting in front of IB theatre students I feel comfortable, confident and wanted,” Frazier said. “They have kind personalities and give a lot of constructive criticism. They say things like, ‘You should add more characterization, but you’re doing great.’ The friendship that is made between the other characters and yourself is really special.”

For some of the cast, performing “To Kill A Mockingbird” is bigger than just a play.

“To me it means wherever you look, whether it be current day or in the past, racism is a relevant topic that needs to be talked about,” Frazier said. “One of my favorite parts about the character I play is that she knows how to stand up for what she believes in and when to speak up on important issues. This play sends an important message about how you affect the people around you, and I hope the audience gets that message.”

The play will be taking place in the Black Box on Thursday, Feb. 2 as a student show, Friday Feb. 3 starting at 7:30 p.m., and will continue on Saturday with an afternoon show starting at 2:30 p.m. and a night show starting at 7:30 p.m. The final show will be on Sunday, Feb. 5 starting at 2:30 p.m..