Freshman Alexa Keiser, senior Maddie Hall break school, meet records

Michael Pearce, Sports Editor

Saginaw Valley State University hosted 28 high school teams across Michigan at the annual Division 1 high school invitational. On March 22, both the boys and girls track teams participated in the event, and two meet records were broken by Fenton girls.

Freshman Alexa Keiser broke the 41 year-old school and the meet record for the 3200 meter run by 28 seconds with a 11:12.48 run. Senior captain Maddie Hall also broke a meet record in the long jump with a jump of 17 feet and 10 inches.

PHOTO Madi Wheeler

“I think the team is looking pretty good this year,” Hall said. “We have record numbers [members] this year which is awesome. Some of the performances from the meet showed us that we have some great potential. Most of the Metro was at the invitational and we were beating some of their relays and people in individual events. I think we have a good shot at the Metro League title.”

Hall expressed hope in using her experience from the invitational to help achieve her personal goals for the year, and grow as a runner for when she continues on to run track at Oakland University in 2018.

“My goal for my last year of high school track is to be state champion in the long jump and to go all state in the 100m,” Hall said. “It’s a little bittersweet, this being my last season, but I’m really excited to be competing with others at a collegiate level. I’m sure it’ll be sad at my last meet, but I know it’s not the end of my athletic career.”

Hall also placed third in the 60 meter dash. While Hall is in her final season, Keiser is in her first with the varsity track team. Despite being projected to beat the 41 year-old record, Keiser was not sure of herself until she crossed the finish line.

“I was expected to run that fast but I did not think I would be able to,” Keiser said. “When I realized I broke the record I felt relieved that I got the record but also very happy at the same time.”

The girls and boys track teams next competition will be April 13 at Davison.