Senior Christian Herrera named at Genessee Career Institute’s student of the year

Senior+Christian+Herrera+cuts+wood+with+an+electric+saw+in+his+construction+class+at+GCI.+Herrera+is+one+of+1%2C300+students+from+21+school+districts+in+Genesee+Career+Institute.+He+is+currently+enrolled+in+the+Career+and+Technical+Education+program.+

PHOTO Brendan Triola

Senior Christian Herrera cuts wood with an electric saw in his construction class at GCI. Herrera is one of 1,300 students from 21 school districts in Genesee Career Institute. He is currently enrolled in the Career and Technical Education program.

Brendan Triola, Sports Editor

Stepping through metal detectors and getting patted down was routine for senior Christian Herrera while he attended McKinley Middle School during his seventh grade year. When he was maced as a bystander in a riot during school hours, he and his parents made the decision to leave McKinley and come to Fenton. Despite struggling with grades early on, Herrera has improved in all aspects, and was named the 2017 CTE Student of the Year.

“Our office staff voted for this award,” assistant principal Laura Lemke said. “I believe Christian was chosen because of the impact that CTE had on his outlook toward his future endeavors.

The CTE Student of the Year award recognizes the most deserving candidate working in the Career Technical Education classes. Herrera currently attends the Genesee Career Institute, taking CTE classes such as Geometry Under Construction and Virtual Enterprises. From these classes, he has learned what he wants to do with his future.

“Before taking my construction class, I was really nervous; I had never even touched a power tool in my life,” Herrera said. “After learning how to do everything, I know that I want to go into construction after high school, so I’m fortunate I was able to take this class.”

While Herrera now knows what career he wants to pursue, he said that school has not always been easy for him. Herrera had difficulty staying motivated and maintaining passing grades.

“Coming to Fenton I struggled with school early on,” Herrera said. “Being bilingual was difficult at first, because there are so many vocabulary words to learn. In a primarily Spanish speaking family, I faced some challenges along the way. I am extremely grateful for the fact that I am bilingual because of the advantages it can give me in the future.”

Time management has been one of the most important facets of Herrera’s high school career. After factoring all of the activities that he participates in, he has realized that he doesn’t have time to do things most teenagers do. Herrera wakes up at 5:30 a.m. to attend GCI, takes his normal classes, takes his online classes and now participates in varsity lacrosse, all while still working his job at Fenton Coney Grill on the weekends.

“I never have free time,” Herrera said. “But it’s worth it, because I love everything I do. Winning this award made me really proud, because I was recognized for just being myself.”

Herrera will be honored as Fenton’s CTE Student of the Year at a luncheon held at GCI where one student from each of the other Genesee County School’s will also be recognized. The luncheon for Herrera and his administrators will take place the first week of May.