What factors go into the decision for an inclement weather day

Madi Wheeler, Online Editor

Whenever lots of snow or frigid temperatures are in sight, many kids begin to dream of getting that call, saying to sleep in because they don’t have to report to school. There are many important factors that go into the decision of whether or not we get a snow day.

“The number one factor in making the decision is the safety of our students,” superintendent Adam Hartley said. “It is an easy call if the conditions of the roads are bad due to a major snow storm or ice storm. Or if temperatures are dangerous due to the wind chill factor. It is a tough call if a storm is possible, or if wind chill temperatures may reach a dangerous level.”

Although it is ultimately up to the superintendent to determine whether the conditions are safe or not, Hartley looks to many other sources for help in making this decision.

“I rely on our operations and transportation team to give me updates on road conditions and if our buses are safe,” Hartley said. “I rely on the county road commission to update me on when and if they are plowing roads and salting them. I talk with other Superintendents from districts that neighbor ours and I am always looking at the forecast. After all these factors are considered, the number one question is, will our kids be safe?”

Despite the many hopes by students that an inclement weather day will be given, there can be consequences if the district exceeds the given amount of days.

“We are allowed six days,” Hartley said. “We have taken four so far. If we go over six, we may complete a waiver with the state and ask that if we go over that some or all of the days that exceeded six are forgiven. Typically the waiver is not given.”