Don’t Mind the Pressure

Students often needlessly change themselves to ‘fit in’ to high school

Dr. Seuss once said, “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Teenagers should be less like the Grinch and more like the Cat in the Hat or Sam-I-Am. The Cat in the Hat and Sam-I-Am are goofy and love that about themselves; they don’t change for anyone. On the other hand, the Grinch steals Christmas and isn’t truly happy until the end of the book when he realizes he no longer wants to be mean and hateful.

Being yourself seems so easy to accomplish when portrayed in the pages of a children’s book, with rhymes and made up words masking the difficulties in actually being proud of yourself in a world that pressures people to change. Transitioning from childhood innocence to a young adult is possibly the greatest test of one’s individuality.

Going back in time, one may remember a particularly squirrely and strange eighth grader whose main activities were running around in public while being an obnoxious lunatic with their friends. Passing through the ominous doors on the first day of ninth grade marks the end of the innocent period in a child’s life and the creation of a self-induced high school monster.

I was one of those carefree lunatics not too long ago and I really miss that side of myself. Coming from a small middle school with a graduating class of 60 kids, high school was a huge change that I did not handle very well. I clung desperately to my old friends, kept my mouth shut and refused to branch out for the longest time.

I eventually realized how much extra time and energy I was wasting by refusing to be myself and risking looking like a fool. Although I have tried to let myself shine through that mask I put up, I can’t help but look in a mirror every now and then to make sure my hair, makeup and outfit still look cute and intact.

High school gives most people the impression they need to change to fit in. Teenagers develop a pretend world where what they wear and who their friends are become an entire identity.

This pretend world is nothing new. It stems from teens being incredibly impressionable and having swollen amygdale, which causes the teenage brain to act impulsively without making note of dangerous consequences.

While high school years should be seen as clean slates and opportunities to start a path for a successful life, many people abuse them and find their alter egos instead. Alter egos are often created to fit in and feel a sense of belonging. This is a natural response, but it is taken to dangerous levels.

While there are numerous opportunities for students to be individuals in school with clubs, activities and various sports, there will always be the stigmas. Kids want to be a part of the admired sports teams and clubs, to be seen with the right people who will get them into wild parties and to look the part for popularity.

Rather than being so closed minded about high school and seeing only things you need to change about yourself to be accepted, just remember who you are and who you want to be.

There will always be people who do not like others for their taste in clothing, food, music or because they were seen with the wrong person.

Trying to please everyone is not worth any time at all and will make you really unhappy in the long run. Focus on being yourself and stop caring about what other people think of you.

It may be difficult to let go of that natural instinct of wanting to be liked, but no one ever said growing up would be easy.

High school will end and no one will care who your friends were or what you wore to prom. Losing individuality is one of the most harmful actions to anyone’s high school career. Thinking back on the years between middle school and college, people should have precious memories, not a montage of disastrous decisions.