Band hosts mattress sale to raise money for uniforms

Madi Wheeler, Writer

Transforming the band room by bringing in all different size mattresses, the marching band hosted a mattress sale. They hoped to add to their accumulating funds for new uniforms. The marching band along with the band boosters program has been trying to raise money for new uniforms for the past few years now and hope to achieve their goal by 2018.

“The uniforms we’re currently wearing are from 1999, and they are quite beat up so that is why we are trying to raise money for new ones,” freshman Reese Strawsburg said. “At the mattress sale we mostly talked to customers about what we were raising money for and why. We also helped parents with putting up and taking down signs, showing people where to go, and set a few things up.”

The sale, hosted on March 25, was one of the many fundraisers that the marching band has hosted over the past few years to raise the money.

“The sale went really well,” freshman Joe Fleck said. “We were able to sell 41 mattresses, which I believe made around $6,000.”

With about $40,000 still needed, the mattress sale is not the only fundraiser the marching band will be hosting within the next few years.

“We are several years into a multi-year fundraising drive for new marching band uniforms,” band director Andrew Perkins said. “We want to be able to have the band in new uniforms fall of 2018, so that means we have to order them by spring of 2018. It’s going to cost us around $85,000. For the past several years we’ve been slowly trying to do more and more fundraisers to raise up money, we’re up to $45,000 right now so we are going to keep doing these kinds of fundraisers over the next year or two to try to have enough cash for uniforms.”

With profits made from the mattress sale, the band looks to its next fundraiser to help contribute to the growing accumulation of funds for uniforms as they work towards their goal amount to purchase the uniforms. The band is currently finishing up a fundraiser with the Crust and Coffee Beanery.