The student news site of Fenton High School

Winter break should be spent in a warm climate

December 20, 2018

Laying out on a beach chair, feet in the sand, while holding a fruity drink with an umbrella is the only way to spend winter break. Catching a flight to a warm vacation spot allows for increased happiness and the chance to escape some of the holiday stress.

Hightailing it out of Michigan and vacationing to a place where temperatures are comfortable enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt is very beneficial. It allows people to get outside, and, according to healthline.com, exposure to sunlight increases the brain’s release of a hormone called serotonin. Serotonin is associated with boosting mood and helping a person feel calm and focused. There is no better way to end the year than increasing happiness levels on a beach.

Although winter break is supposed to time set aside to unwind, according to the New York Post, 38 percent of people actually see an increase in stress during the holidays. The pressure to have a “perfect Christmas” also takes its toll on 41 percent of people, who confess to working “too hard” to achieve it.

Vacationing to a sunny area away from home gives many the opportunity to escape pressure-filled family dinners, along with the stress of cooking, cleaning, entertaining, and hoping every family member gets along.

Despite what many Christmas songs imply, the cold and snow are not necessary to have a great time during the holidays. Christmas spirit can be found anywhere, as joy and Noel follows one wherever they travel to. It is the perfect year to experience a palm tree wrapped in Christmas lights somewhere on a beach.