Girls golf team competes at states to end the season

November 28, 2018

In the rain, wind and cold, the girls golf team braved the weather this season as they went 8-0 in dual meets for their regular season.

“We took first at metros and second at regionals this season,” sophomore Brooke Herbstreit said. “We finished fifth at states; no one played very well because of the weather, but we did pretty well with the conditions we had.”

This season the team welcomed exchange student Charlotte Cunaud from France. Cunaud earned First Team All-Metro this season as well as qualified for states.

“[Charlotte] came and ended up finishing fifth in the state, so when you have a golfer like that that comes in, she was incredible,” varsity golf coach Kurt Herbstreit said. “Another big part was the two seniors that we had, four year seniors Lily Horning and Angela Hanners.They both had some great rounds this year and they really helped us to be the team that we were.”

Despite losing many of the upperclassmen, coach Herbstreit is ready to rebuild the team for the year to come. He says, “it’ll be fun to see who’s going to come out of this group of girls and be some of the top golfers on the team.”

“Next year, we lose Charlotte, Angela and Lily,” Herbstreit said. “The varsity golfers that we have coming back are pretty much Brooke Herbstreit, Olivia Herbert and Victoria Carnell. Then we have four freshmen who played this year in JV and we’re looking for them to step up and fill in some roles.”

Still, the team made great strides and had four players on the first team all-league.

“I had my best rounds for nine holes and 18 holes,” senior Lily Horning said. “I got first team all-league after having gotten second team all-league the past two years. I had some pretty good rounds and I was number three player so I also got moved up in the rankings which I was excited about.”

The girl’s golf team seeks for new members for next year’s season; anyone interested can contact coach Kurt Herbstreit at [email protected]