The student news site of Fenton High School

Girls swim team takes 14th at states meet

November 28, 2018

The Fenton girls swim team concluded their 2018 season exceeding their goals that they had set before them; making it a “very successful season,” senior Caitlyn Dailey said.

“We outlined our season back in August with the goals we wanted to achieve,” swim coach Brad Jones said. “Those included, being 15th straight Metro League title, win over Grand Blanc in a dual meet, county championships and now for us top 10 finish at the state meet and all state relays.”

PHOTO Dow Kaenpracha
While coming up for air during her 100 yard breaststroke, sophomore Abby Dolliver takes the win against Grand Blanc High. The Fenton High girls swim team beat Grand Blanc 200-150.

The team achieved many of these goals including: taking first at Counties, Metros and Regionals; beating Grand Blanc in a dual meet.

“It was a lot easier to work harder with a big team,” freshman Gracie Olsen said. “They help me stay so motivated and it is more fun than practicing on your own or doing a different set.”

After competing in multiple qualifying meets, the girls team made it to states, taking 14th place overall.

“This season was by far the most successful season I have ever had all four years I’ve been on the team,” Dailey said. “There were seven varsity records broken, we won counties for the first time in a long time and we brought a lot of girls to the qualifying meets (MISCA and states). We won the metro league title for the 15th straight year and at state finals Gracie Olsen placed first in the 200 IM and second in the 100 fly and then our relays all placed top 16.”