Power-puff returns for another Homecoming spirit week

Lauren Koscielniak, Writer

The long-standing competition between the junior and senior girls has been going on for more than 40 years. The organization committee consists of everyone from the Student Council, including the adviser Jill Starr to the Athletic Director Michael Bakker, as well as several volunteers and parents.

Having competed when she was in high school, Starr was prepared to organize the game, although it was much different in her high school days.

“When I was in high school in the 1980s, powder-puff was only a field activity,” Starr said. “There was a lot of pranking the other grade with shaving cream and eggs.”

The competition playbook is exactly the same as contact football; the only difference between the two, tackling is not allowed. Going from ‘80s pranks to ‘16s plays, the girls participating will throw the ball rather than eggs.

“I decided to play this year because I have had friends do it in the past and they said they had a fun time,” junior Ellery Brickles said. “I wanted to be able to participate in two years of powder-puff, so I am starting off with my junior year.”

Student Council is not the only source working to make this game happen, the players are as well. The seniors have been practicing since Sept. 21 to make their final game count, while the juniors had their first meeting that same afternoon to establish a team. Seniors, as they do each year, build their game on a foundation of extra practice from the year prior.

“I can trust my teammates because most of them are only playing one position, so they can focus on their role in the game,” senior Abby Quesnelle said. “My team can count on me as well, because I am competitive in everything I do, and I will not let them down.”

Powder-puff has evolved from where it started more than 40 years ago, yet it still builds friendships and trust within the girls on the teams as it did when it first began. Kickoff for the game between juniors and seniors is at 7 p.m. on Oct. 3 at the Ivan Williams Field. The entrance fee is $5.