Girls lacrosse looking for a new coach

Jillian Ferry, Assistant Online Editor in Chief

While most spring sports are starting open gyms, scrimmages and player workouts, students on JV and varsity Fenton-Linden lacrosse teams are searching for a coach. Their season starts in just over two months on March 12 and students are hoping that they will be able to continue playing for their fourth season.

PHOTO Missy Tousley
After intercepting the ball junior Sarah Reuschlein makes a fast break toward the net on the other end of the field. The Fenton girls varsity lacrosse team won the 2017 metro title against Swartz Creek.

“We had Coach Ellis who had coached the previous three seasons informed us last year that he wasn’t going to be returning,” Athletic Director Michael Bakker said. “Which is fine, we understood. So we posted the job opening.”

While the application for the coaching position has been up since the fall, no one has been able to fill the role due to the schedule of the sport.

“We had a couple of applications in the fall and we interviewed and offered but once we got down into the nitty gritty of scheduling and calendars and between their commitments, we just couldn’t make the calendar work so they withdrew,” Bakker said. “We had to repost it and since we’ve repost it, we’ve had a couple of people reach out with some lukewarm interest but we still haven’t received enough applications to the point to where we want to do interviews quite yet. We will start focusing more this week and next week on trying to fill that vacancy.”

Although there is no coach in place to conduct preseason activities, Bakker recommends that athletes prepare themselves on their own so that they are ready when the season begins. Many students such as senior Jessica Lynch do this by participating in winter sports.

PHOTO Missy Tousley
With her eyes on the net, senior Jessica Lynch sprints down the field ready to score during the varsity Lacrosse game against Oxford High School during the 2017 season.

“I’ve been on the team for the last two years and it’s been a really influential part of my life so I really want a coach,” Lynch said. “Right now I have ski season going on and a lot of the conditioning for ski helps with what we do in lacrosse.”

While there are still two months until the season begins the team will be looking for a new coach to begin getting ready for the season.