After devoting nearly eight months to their MYP personal projects, 286 sophomores will present their final products on April 29 in both gyms of FHS

The MYP (Middle Years Program) project was introduced to FHS three years ago as a part of the  IB program. In order to receive credit students have to complete 20 process journals, a report and a showing of their final product. The showcase of the projects will be on April 29 in both of the gyms.

“I was proud of all my SRT students’ projects last year; I couldn’t just pick one in particular,” video productions teacher Rich Ashley said. “I spend a lot of time encouraging my students to pick something they will enjoy doing/ working on because the projects goes on for a few months.”

The projects vary from students teaching younger children new skills to students teaching themselves new skills, such as learning how to play an instrument or building parts to a car.

“For my MYP project, I learned the Pledge of Allegiance and “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” in sign language; and I am going to teach the Pledge to a seventh grade class and the song to a first grade class,” sophomore Callah Sullivan said. “Not only will I enjoy doing this project but hopefully the kids I teach will too.”

A lot of students pick a topic that has to do with their interests.

“I enjoy music, so I decided to learn a song on my soprano saxaphone for my project,” sophomore Mitchell Ferris said. “I also like playing video games, so the song I am learning is Mario Bros.”

The purpose of the Personal Project is to provide students with an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding of the Areas of Interaction (AOI) and how they can advance their learning. By using the skills they have developed through their academic courses,  the design cycle and applying the Approaches to Learning skills (ATL), they will be demonstrating their ability to plan, design, research, create and present.