New Record for Girls Swim

PHOTO Monica Bradburn

Haarajoa swims the 50 freestyle at the Fenton vs Brandon meet at Fenton on October 24.

October 12 is a day that senior Gabbi Haaraoja will long remember. While competing at the Michigan Interscholastic Swim Coaches Association (MISCA) meet against swim teams from the entire state of Michigan, she beat the record for the 50 yard freestyle. She swam at a time of 24.30, beating the record of 24.46.

“When I first realized I had broken the record, I was in shock.” Haaraoja said, “It had been a goal of mine since freshmen year so I was really excited.”

Haaraoja did not completely believe she had broken the record, so swim coach Brad Jones sent her a picture of the record board showing the previous record with the time she beat. But not before her dad talked to her.

“My dad made a bet with me,” Haaraoja said , “ and he said ‘If I’m right and you did break the record, you can’t have ice cream until states. If you’re right, I’ll pay you $100.”

Sophomore year was the first time she appeared on the record board with two relays. This is the first individual record Haaraoja has broken.

“Before a race, I completely clear my head and focus on being fast.” Haaraoja said. “I get a song in my head and I just start singing it to myself when I’m behind the block.”

Haaraoja is heavily involved in the swim team and has decided to continue swimming in college. She has verbally committed herself to the University of Toledo.

The next swim meet is the Metro Championship on Nov 8 and 9 at FHS. Six girls, including seniors Gabbi Haaraoja, Lauren Davis and Addison Ransom, sophomores Bri Costigan and Taylor Haaraoja, and freshman Lauren Gruber will be attending states this year.