Volleyball captures second straight Class A District title

The Fenton Varsity Volleyball team celebrates their second straight district title win.

PHOTO .llie Cowger

The varsity volleyball program is accustomed to success, especially after finishing undefeated in Metro League play not only this year, but many years prior to this.  The Tigers added to their previous successes on Thursday night when they won their second straight Class A District title in their home gym.

Sweeping Linden the night before in the semi-finals, the Tigers finished off the District tournament by defeating  Brandon in three games.

“I think we played really well, we made the plays we were supposed to make and we beat Brandon like we were supposed to,” senior outside hitter Dori Carpenter said. “We knew we had already beat Brandon once but we didn’t let that get into our heads. We came in confident but not cocky.”

Starting off game one of the set, the Tigers took the lead from the start and never looked back.  Senior Ashley Bearden had the first kill of the game followed by an ace by sophomore Amanda Carty.  Brandon couldn’t overcome the point deficit and the Tiger’s took an early set lead with a 25-9 game one victory.

By the start of the second game, a group that started out as approximately 10 FHS students grew into a student section of over 50 kids.

“After beating Linden, I felt like we had pretty good momentum going into the Brandon game,” junior outside hitter Kelsie Fischer said. “It was also great to have a student section for these games.  We usually don’t have one so we loved it.”

Brandon took the first two points of game two, but a kill by Kelsie Fischer sent the Tigers on a 6-0 run.   Eventually calling time-out at 13-7, Fenton in the lead, Brandon once again couldn’t take the lead back.  Brandon came within 4 points (17-13) but three net violations and several Fenton kills later, the Tigers led the Blackhawks 22-13.  Bearden finished the second game with a kill to bring the final score to 25-16.

Game three had no different outcome and the Tigers capped off the three game sweep with a 25-10 District title capturing victory.

Fenton will play Northville at Novi High School on Tuesday at 7 p.m.  The Tigers split with Northville at a tournament earlier this year and is also the team the Tigers lost to in states last season.

“We somewhat know what to expect going into this game,” Carpenter said.  “Today at practice we talked about what we are going to have to do and what we need to focus on.  Mr. Bakker (Athletic Director) came to our practice and hit and blocked, acting as one of the girls that Northville has on their team who is super tall, can jump super high and can hit super hard so that we can get used to defending her.”