Ski Club begins for sign ups this winter

Delaney Bryson, Writer

Temperatures are dropping, and students are taking advantage by gearing up and getting ready to head out to Mt. Holly with the ski and snowboard club.

High school science teacher Lynn Behr was in charge of the club for close to seven years while she taught at the middle school, but took a break last year. She has returned to the club again this year to join co-club coordinator Melani Loria.

“I definitely think the best part about the club is getting outside, seeing your friends and doing something in a local venue,” Behr said. “That’s why I hope more kids will keep signing up.”

No prior experience in skiing or snowboarding is necessary to join the club and students are encouraged to join. Freshman Jaden Lainesse is a well experienced snowboarder and a member of the club for the first time this year.

“I started snowboarding when I was around nine,” Lainesse said. “I like the ski club because I’ve been snowboarding for a long time and it’s a good opportunity to be outside during the winter.”

PHOTO Madi Wheeler

In order to join, students must sign up in the athletic office and pay $20 for a ski/snowboard pass. All lessons for both skiing and snowboarding are about 50 minutes long and typically begin on Fridays at 5 p.m., 6 p.m., or 7 p.m. All lessons will meet outside the ticket office building at Mt. Holly.