Drumline tryouts for the 2017-18 school year begin on May 31

Amber Kelly, Writer

Students who have attended basketball games or have seen the marching band have probably heard the Drumline perform before. The 2017-18 Drumline auditions are on May 31. The positions of bass drum and cymbals are available for auditions this year.

“Anyone can audition for drumline,” instructor Andy Perkins said. “Although positions are competitive and given to priority is given to percussionists in the band program.”

Junior Brandon Higham will be a member of Drumline of four years in the 2017-18 season and knows what it takes to be apart of the Line.

“To be in Drumline some of the responsibilities include time management,” Higham said. “Being a leader to the underclassmen is essential along with practicing on your own time. And you need to be able to help others with learning music. We try to push the Line to be as good as it can.”

Practices are about three hours long after school, run on Wednesdays and are lead by percussion captain LeVon Bristol.

“Drumline is a critical part of the marching band,” Perkins said. “We have been fortunate to have LeVon Bristol as our percussion captain head for the last 13 years. He is a world class musician and instructor. He really has made the Drumline what it is, through private lessons and great writing and instructing.”

The 2017-18 season will be freshman Jenna Maher’s second year on Drumline and she understands how crucial her position on Drumline is to the band.

“If you are on Drumline you have to be fully committed,” Maher said. “Drumming is a lot of technique and the music is advanced, it is not something you are able to develop over night. Keeping up on practice is very important because we cannot hold the Drumline behind. Drumline is definitely one of my first priorities.”

Positions of the bass drum and cymbals are open for auditions this year. The 2017-18 Drumline auditions will be held on May 31 at 2:45-4:30 p.m..