“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” Book Review

Hannah Young, Writer

‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’ is the first book in a trilogy following the story of Lara Jean, a half Korean half American girl, who has written five love letters to five different boys. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is a unique teen romantic comedy novel that makes the reader feel good and believe in love especially teen love. The novel portrays uniqueness with its own creative story of teen romance.

Writing letters to five boys, Josh Sanderson, Lucas Krapf, John Ambrose McClaren, Kenny Donati and Peter Kavinsky; all boys she’s had a crush on. The letters are personal to Lara Jean throughout the book and remain special to her. These are stored in a box that used to belong to Lara Jean’s mother, which a keepsake and are soon sent out, accidentally, to all of the five boys, causing confrontation with the boys about the letters. As Lara Jean learns to deal with the past lovers face to face, she  realizes something good can come out of letters after all.

Lara Jean’s journey from the mishap of the letters, she experiences and faces each of her crushes. The boys that receive the letters are Lucas, who comes out as gay, to Josh Sanderson, the boy next door and also Lara Jean’s older sisters ex, and Peter Kavinsky, who is Lara Jean’s longtime crush since middle school. Lara Jean’s journey is her love life and how it affects her life in many different ways.

PHOTO Courtesy of Google Images

The different boys and the connections she has with them are sweet and fresh to the story. The love story between Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean is an adorable high school relationship that sets your standards higher. Their affection gives an inspiration and alludes to a high school Romeo to her Juliet. Their story  is bright and unusual from normal of cliche of the type of genre. “Love is scary: it changes; it can go away..” Lara Jean and her story with Peter Kavinsky is something no one has in the book.

The book holds the importance of family in it. The details of family make the story seem even more real. The family itself is unique; perfect Margot, romantic Lara Jean and the cute,but catty, Kitty and their father. The family is quirky from making Christmas cookies, spilling secrets and lying to their dad about his poorly cooked Korean food. I enjoyed the connection between the family and how it was a importance between each family member and a main priority.

The book is a wonderful story of teen romance. The storyline is fresh and different from other books of teen romance. The letters are something that will grab readers attention. The dilemma of who Lara Jean should pick is something that keep will keep on the edge of their seat.”Life doesn’t have to be so planned. Just roll with it and let it happen.” The story is a kind of story that you cheer for until the end.