Exchange Students Come To Experience Fenton Schools

Maci Best, Assistant Print Editor

From France to Japan, exchange students have come from around the globe to experience high school in the United States. For these students, it is a decision that could change their lives as they uproot themselves from their home and take on the challenge of adapting to a new environment.

“It was a hard decision becoming a foreign exchange student because I had to leave my friends and my family,” French exchange student Charlotte Cunaud said. “The school is smaller than mine, but the people are really nice and inviting. It’s pretty weird because [exchange students] are different than others, and I am okay with that.”

Students participating in this program are usually given the option to choose where they would like to spend their exchange year. Other places that could be chosen, depending on the exchange association, include South America, Japan or Asia.

“I chose to come to the US because I’ve always wanted to do my exchange year here, and it seemed fun,” Belgian exchange student Adrien Ganslandt said. “My first impression is that everything is further apart, and things are much bigger and in larger quantities.The classes are also set up in a way that I am not used to, which is different, but not necessarily bad.”

There also is a chance that the exchange student will not be offered to choose their location, and the association will instead choose for them.

“I did not choose to come to the United States, my coordinator chose for me,” Japanese exchange student Yukari Kitamura said. “I am happy with the choice. There is a lot of nature, the people are kind and cheerful, and the school is very big.”

Sharing traditions and every day differences is a mutual experience that takes place between Fenton students and the visiting exchange students. A large part of the year is spent intertwining the two backgrounds and making new and unique memories.

“I came here representing my country, Poland,” exchange student Tymek Barcinski said. “I hope to bring Polish culture to the United States, and show the differences between these countries. It is, of course, also a great adventure and great experience.”

The exchange students will be staying in the United States for ten months and will experience graduation with the Fenton 2019 class this coming June.