Junior McKenzie Mead leads the march to help clean up high school grounds

With the bond having been passed last May and the technology needs in the process of being met, some students may forget about the other issues of the school that lack funding.

“Due to cuts in funding,” Mead said, “Fenton cannot afford to hire the manpower to care for all of the grounds. There is one full time gardener and one part time gardener for all Fenton schools.”

Mead saw the problem and decided to do something about it.

“I saw that school grounds were in trouble and decided it was my duty as a proud Fenton student to help in any way I could,” Mead said.

Mead helped organize a two-day cleanup of the school’s grounds in August. Her group, consisting of several members of NHS and student council, cleaned up the gardens near the student entrance.

“We filled 39 lawn-care bags with dead plants, weeds and branches,” Mead said. “In addition, we laid down new mulch.”

The need for groundskeepers does not end at Fenton High School’s student entrance, however. The neglect of the grounds because of lack of funds stretches all over the district.

“For now,” Mead said, “it will focus on the high dchool until the crew gets bigger with enough volunteers.”

Plans are currently in effect to make cleaning up the school a monthly volunteer event for students, faculty and every member of the Fenton community who can participate.

“I have contacted NHS and this project is going to become a regularly scheduled part of the year,” Mead said. “Cleanups will be in the spring and summer of the coming year. Most likely it will be on the third Sunday of every month around 10 a.m., but that is still being decided.”

In order to make this goal a reality and maintain the upkeep of the grounds, Mead believes support from the community is necessary.

“Support is definitely needed,” Mead said, “ELGA Credit Union and Michigan Landscape donated a total of 12.5 yards of mulch. We couldn’t have done it without their support. Anyone interested in helping out should come talk to me.”