Students reflect on Thanksgiving traditions

Chloe Couch, Writer

Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated by the United States, Canada, some of the Caribbean Islands, and Libera. It originated in 1681 as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of harvest the previous year. 

339 years later, many people still celebrate this holiday—and with holidays come traditions. These traditions can vary for every family; some enjoy a large family meal while others go out to celebrate.

“I go to the family members house of whoever’s hosting that year,” freshman Keegan Weddle said. “Some family members come all the way from Mexico to visit. it’s usually the only time all year we see everybody at the same time because we live all over. Before dinner, we usually play volleyball, which to some people is odd because usually people play football on Thanksgiving, but we all love playing volleyball and none of us are really into football.”

As Weddle experiences what’s viewed as a pretty traditional Thanksgiving, junior Kaytlyn Couch has her own version of a fun, uncommon Thanksgiving tradition.  

“My family and I go to the Thanksgiving parade every year,” Couch said. “This tradition started a few years ago and we all loved it so we kept going. They always have the coolest floats and performers and every year it’s so different.” 

According to Couch, going to the Thanksgiving parade has been a tradition in her family for a few years now. However, she still remembers to give thanks over the holiday season.

“Once we get home from the parade, we eat a big meal and all talk about what we’re thankful for,” Couch said. “It’s what Thanksgiving is really for and it’s nice to see what everyone has to say.”

Whatever the tradition, remember the true meaning of Thanksgiving—to give thanks— while also having fun and staying safe.