Seniors win powder-puff, 25-24

Tess DeGayner, Writer

*All photos taken by Makenzie Cool

PowderPuff is a long-standing tradition for high schools during the week of homecoming. Last night’s game was a perfect match-up that ended in a close, competitive contest with the seniors prevailing, beating the juniors 25-24.

Junior Hannah Sage played both wide receiver and running back during the game. Sage ran in two touchdowns for the juniors.
_MG_7966cc
“Through running track, I have realized how competitive I am,” Sage said. “The coaches identified my running skills and positioned me as a running back.”

Sage’s older sister, Ellen, inspired her to try powder-puff football. 

“My sister played last year and scored a couple of touchdowns and had a lot of fun, so I thought it would be a great experience for me,” Sage said. “We played our best and I think that if we had a little more time, we would have won the game.”

Senior Becky McDermott played on the boys’ high school football team her freshman and sophomore years. She suffered from multiple concussions which forced her to quit playing. Before she played as a junior in the powder-puff game, she was evaluated by a doctor who determined that she could compete.
cc
“I was so excited to play in the powder-puff game my junior year considering I had to quit football last year because of my injuries,” McDermott said. “Football is my favorite sport and I am thankful that they have powder- puff to give me the chance to play again.”

McDermott was not alone on this stance. Other players admitted that they would be interested in being in a league if one were formed. Based on the attendance at the game and the fans’ enthusiasm tonight, a league could have some backing.