People of Fenton: senior Eileen O’Rourke

“I’m a part of the two-year medical assisting program at GCI. In the program, we learn tons of different skills, like taking vitals, EKGs, CPR, filing, injections, and more. However, my favorite part of the program is the clinical rotations. For the entire second semester of both years, I get to go to a hospital or clinic and have on the job training as a medical assistant. This way, I get to exercise my skills in the field and work hands-on with patients. I love being able to work with patients in the clinic and help people understand their health. The program has really taught me the value of a provider and patient relationship. Because nursing is my ultimate career goal, this program has been an incredible resource. At the end of the program, I’ll be eligible to take the RMA (registered medical assistant) exam and work as an MA right out of high school, which is really exciting! I’m hoping this opportunity will open doors for me as I work to advance in the field.” – senior Eileen O’Rourke

Anna Weigle, Writer