The Emmy Awards persevered through the coronavirus pandemic

Hannah Weaver, Writer

During 2020, the world was hit with a serious pandemic. The coronavirus caused numerous things to be either postponed or canceled. However according to the New York Times, the Emmy Awards were done virtually so those who were looking forward to it wouldn’t be let down. Jimmy Kimmel was the host of the ceremony, the nominees were at home and virtually accepted their awards. Therefore, the auditorium was empty except for those who needed to be there to make the Emmys possible. 

The panning shots of the “crowd” had audiences from past award shows. The entire arena was broadcasted and had cutouts of the nominees, which was the only “audience” Kimmel had present. A Canadian sitcom known as “Schitt’s Creek” had taken home nine awards and had won in every comedy category. Other shows that had also won an Emmy Award include: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The Good Place, Insecure, Dead to Me, and multiple others. 

Many nominees, like Mark Ruffalo, Tracee Ellis Ross and Daniel Levy, used their time to talk about topics like the Black Lives Matter movement. The topic of racial justice was brought up multiple times as actors from shows like “Black-ish” and  “Watchmen” used the opportunity they were given to spread awareness. As well as the topic of staying safe by wearing a mask when voting this year.

Zendaya Coleman, an actress who started out in a high school drama class, also recently accepted an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress because of her performance in the TV show Euphoria. Coleman says “There is hope in the young people out there.”