FHS students Halloween traditions

Adeline Ostrander, Writer

With Halloween quickly approaching, many students and their families are preparing for a celebration. These Halloween celebrations are often similar from family to family.

“I usually celebrate Halloween with my family,” sophomore Ellie Zeffero said. “About a week or two before Halloween, my family goes to a pumpkin patch and we pick out pumpkins to carve. My mom will take the seeds that we pull out of the pumpkins and bake them. We’ve done that for as long as I can remember, and it’s one of my favorite traditions.” 

Trick-or-treating is a yearly event with kids of all ages, some kids go out, while others stay home and hand out candy. The United States Census Bureau stated in 2019, there were an estimated 41.1 million potential trick-or-treaters, aged from 5-14 years of age. There were 122.4 million potential trick-or-treat stops for kids to get candy. The most popular halloween candy last year was Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

“On Halloween, my siblings and I get dressed up and go trick or treating,” Zeffero said. “While we do that, my parents hand out candy to the neighborhood.”

Watching horror movies with family and friends is one of the most popular Halloween activities for teenagers . According to RottenTomatoes, the most popular horror movie ever was Psycho (1960), with a 96 percent approval rate. 

Many people celebrate Halloween by going out trick-or-treating, carving pumpkins, watching scary movies, etc. These common traditions help make Halloween such a fun and special holiday for everyone.