The positive and negative impacts of quarantine

Adeline Ostrander, Writer

After spending several months in quarantine, teenagers and adults all over the country have been discovering new things about themselves, leading people to undergo both good and bad physical and mental changes.

“Quarantine has affected me positively by letting me get to know myself better and giving me time to think about my choices in life,” senior Drew Baldwin said.

Many people took quarantine as a time to reflect on themselves and the world around them, changing themselves and their daily lives.

“Quarantine was a nice break for me mentally,” sophomore Ellie Zeffero said. “I embraced the changes our world was going through, and allowed myself to change with it. I allowed myself to develop a new style, and started to worry a lot less about what people thought, and instead what made me feel good. I believe I have become more confident during these past months.”

Quarantine has also affected people negatively, however. ScienceDirect states that lockdown has been causing increased stress and depression rates, which is leading to poor diet and exercise choices. This then increases people’s risk for cardiovascular diseases and other health issues.

“Mentally, quarantine has definitely made me more prone to becoming sad and I have less self esteem than I did before,” sophomore Lillian Knight said. “Physically, I’m less fit than I used to be and have found it hard trying to get back into shape.”

Being isolated from friends and family may also negatively impact children and adults. The American Psychological Association states that social isolation causes adverse health consequences including depression, poor sleep quality, impaired executive function, accelerated cognitive decline, poor cardiovascular function and impaired immunity at every stage of life. 

“I just miss seeing my friends and leaving the house,” freshman Brooke Severn said. “It’s not all that great being stuck at home reliving the same day over and over again.” 

The National Center for Health Statistics partnered with the Census Bureau to conduct a poll asking adults if they have been showing symptoms of anxiety and depression. The results, on average, increased as quarantine progressed.

Quarantine has numerous ups and downs and may be more impactful for some than others. If very negatively impacted, teens should reach out to a trusted friend, adult or counselor.