Power outage disrupts school day

Emily Battaglia, Writer

Because of an accident, this past Friday was not a normal afternoon at Fenton High. At approximately 2:05 p.m., students were greeted with an unexpected power outage that delayed many of the afternoon’s scheduled activities.

“We were told it was ‘an accident,’” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “Consumers energy would not give us any details besides that.”

Because of the power outage, many teachers’ lesson plans were postponed because of the need for technology during class.

“Teachers were frustrated because they had a good 20 minutes left of class,” Suchowski said. “However, I was told that students were resourceful in making the most of their time without power.”

Besides delaying class routines, the power outage forced all after-school activities to be cancelled; including the all school play “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.”

“Having the show cancelled on Thursday was both good and bad,” senior Cord Alvarado said. “It was good because it gave us another day to rest and recuperate for the other shows that weekend, but bad because we lost all the funds for the show and one entire show itself.”

While the power was out, students were forced to find alternative work for their standard 4A class period rituals

“I was researching famous painters online when the power went out,” junior Bethany Xiong said. “I was glad when it happened because I didn’t have to continue, but some people were freaking out because they thought we’d have to stay after school. It was nice to have a break from the excessive amount of research. We just talked for the rest of Advanced Art.”

The power was back on by Saturday; allowing for plays, sports, lights, technology, and normal Fenton High activities to carry on.