Fenton prepares for upcoming powderpuff game

Monroe Chapman, Writer

The powderpuff game at Fenton High has always fueled the rivalry between the junior and senior girls. When given only one chance a year to play a variation of football, junior and senior girls use this opportunity to show off their school spirit. 

Practice takes place 2-3 times per week at the field between Andrew Schmidt (AGS) Middle School and the baseball diamonds. The juniors and seniors each have their own practice times in effort to not give away any prized plays. Although players are not required to attend all practices, most girls go anyway because of the physical activity and atmosphere. 

“Practices are a lot of fun,” junior Emerson Sayer said. “We usually run plays and drills for a few hours. With that said, us juniors are looking pretty good.”

Unlike many other sports at FHS, there is no redlining in powderpuff, meaning that anyone can participate without having to worry about their grades. Players are required to pay $20 for a custom jersey and buy their own sweatpants and mouthguard. Other than those requirements, powderpuff is not a pay-to-play sport. 

During the big game, while the girls play out on the field, junior and senior boys are cheerleaders hyping up the fans in the stands. They don’t have as many scheduled practices as the players, but typically appear more than ready to have fun as well. 

Last year, the juniors won. This sparked an argument between the seniors and the referees. With their confidence gained from last year’s victory, the now-seniors are eager to continue their winning streak. The seniors already have experience on the field, but the juniors are a whole new team with possible hidden aces that could give the seniors a run for their money. 

“I joined powder puff because it seemed like a really fun experience. It gives me a chance to meet more of my fellow classmates and get closer with them while doing something active,” junior Ava Pyeatt said. “I believe the seniors are going to win this one because they beat the seniors last year. They have a lot of fast runners and aggressive people, which is great for football. It would be awesome to beat them though.”

Each team has a coach that directs players through the fire and into victory. When a play goes wrong, players use creative problem-solving to finish what the coach started with. 

“I don’t think last year’s win for the seniors is going to make them cocky,” junior Coach Greg Best said, “but I would definitely say they assure themselves that they know how to win. Our job is to give them a game and try to beat them.” 

Powderpuff is a one-time opportunity for girls to dominate football. For the girls on the field, there’s only one goal— to win. The juniors and seniors play on Sept. 26 at 7 p.m, where the student body will find out which class reigns supreme.