FHS Seniors’ Athletic College Commitments

Ella Drake, Writer

With little time remaining for the class of 2023, many seniors are making plans to further their education. About 250 seniors are graduating this spring and several have already committed to collegiate sports for the fall.

Senior Sophie Stefanac has committed to the University of Illinois Chicago to continue her swimming career. 

“I knew that I wasn’t ready to give up swim just yet and I wanted a team atmosphere in college,” Stefanc said. “The support system that teammates give is unmatched.”

Going into a new environment can be unsettling for incoming freshmen, but having a team to count on can ease those nerves. 

Senior Remy Book has committed to Ferris State University to play collegiate tennis. 

“I’m a die-hard tennis fan,” Book said. “It has made me who I am today.”

Athletics play a vital role in the lives of several students and have a multitude of mental and physical benefits. Playing a sport while going to school encourages time management, communication and teamwork while also improving hand-eye coordination and stamina according to Newport Academy. 

The financial strain of college doesn’t just last while in school, debt can have a lasting effect on graduates’ lives according to The Hill. Students who choose to continue their sport in college can be rewarded in the form of scholarships because of their hard work and dedication according to Discover. 

“An athletic scholarship is very useful,” Stefanac said. “It helps cover tuition and alleviates some debt after college.”

Scholarships vary for each athlete based on their sport and academic standing. The money received also depends on the school in which the student will be attending according to Discover. 

According to NCAA, about 190,000 students commit to collegiate sports annually. About $3.7 billion in scholarships are given each year in the United States.