Spring sports begin for student athletes at Fenton High School

Lily Turkowski, Writer

Spring sports at Fenton High have sprung into action. Some sports have already had their first competitions while others are just beginning their first practices of the season. 

Varsity baseball coach Shawn Lawrence has coached the team throughout many past seasons. Last year, the Tigers finished second in the league and were able to knock out the defending state champions, Grand Blanc.

“We always want to be competitive and compete against the top teams,” Lawrence said. “I am excited to watch the team come together and continue the program’s traditions.”

Varsity baseball is currently 3-3 in their season, losing their first three competitions to Saline and Clarkston. However, the team has now gained three consecutive wins against Swartz Creek.

The boys will compete next at Holly on April 17.

Boys varsity golf kicked off their season with their first competition on April 11 against Brandon High; this competition resulted in a win for the team. This season is FHS history teacher Brad Jones’s first year as head coach for the golf team. The team was previously led by retired FHS teacher John Gilbert.

Golf’s next competition will be against Holly at the Coyote Preserve Golf Course on April 18.

Varsity golf will have their next competition on April 18 against Holly High at their home course, Coyote Preserve Golf Course.

Boys varsity lacrosse started off their season with a win against L’Anse Creuse High School on March 22 with a score of 11-6. The team is led by Head Coach Greg Normand.

The Tigers are currently 4-3 in their season, losing to East Kentwood, Goodrich-Lake Fenton and Swartz Creek, but winning to West Bloomfield, Lapeer and Pinckney. The boys will have their next competition on April 14 against Goodrich at Goodrich High.

Girls varsity lacrosse, led by Head Coach Isabel Greene, also had their first competition on March 22. This game ended with a loss for the Tigers 2-19 against Davison High but was followed up with a 14-12 win over Grand Blanc in their competition on April 4. 

Girls Lacrosse will play next on April 18 in a home game against Brandon.

The girls varsity soccer team is currently 0-2-1 in their season. They lost their first competition against Linden on March 22 and then went on to tie with Kettering and lose to South Lyon. The team is led by Head Coach Jose Melero. This is Melero’s first year as head coach for the girls varsity team but has been with the Fenton soccer program since 2012.

“My goals for the season are for us to be competitive in every game,” Melero said. “As a team, we are stressing that the game in front of us is the most important game of the season but we will not look past any opponent.”

Although Melero hopes to stay competitive throughout the season, that is not his main goal.

“My most important goal is to continue the great traditions that are associated with the Fenton soccer program that were started by [FHS teacher] Matt Sullivan over the years.”

Last year, the girls ended their season with a win in their first district competition against Kearsley but came up short in their next post-season game against Lake Fenton.

Boys and girls varsity track began their season with a win in their first competition against Flushing on April 12. Girls varsity track is led by Coach Melanie Hall and the boys are led by Coach Anthony McMillan. 

Both teams will continue their season in their next competition at Holly High in their tri-meet against Kearsley.

Varsity softball started their season off with a win over Swartz Creek on April 10. The Tigers are coached by Head Coach Michelle (Missy) Maguire and Co-Head Coach Travis Craven. 

Although this season will be Maguire’s first year coaching for the varsity softball team, she has been coaching for about 13 years. 

“I began coaching at the 10U level and have coached all the way up through 16/18U,” Maguire said. “Most of my coaching experience was in Eastern Pennsylvania.”

The varsity softball team made it further in their postseason last year than they have in years. The Tigers defeated Swartz Creek and Flushing for their district title and then went on to win the regional championship against Grand Blanc. They fell short to Hudsonville in the state quarterfinals. 

“My goals for this season are for my athletes to feel that they have improved not only their athletic skills of softball in some way,” Maguire said, “but have also learned about leadership, perseverance and how to be a great teammate.”

Girls varsity tennis played in their first competition against Brandon High on April 11. The outcome of the game resulted in a win for the Tigers. This team is led by Coach Ken “Woody” Brackney. Coach Woody has been coaching at Fenton High School for 31 years. The first 20 were spent with the ski team and the rest with both junior varsity and varsity tennis.

“My goals for this season,” Brackney said, “are to have fun, to enjoy tennis and help our student athletes achieve their goals.”

Last year, girls varsity tennis went undefeated with 11 wins and zero losses. The team won the Metro League Championship and also placed in the top ten at regionals. The team hopes this year to defend that Metro League Championship title.

Girls varsity tennis will play next against Holly at home on April 18.

Click here to continue to follow the FHS spring sports teams throughout the rest of their 2023 seasons.