SRTs contribute to the Angel Tree and Kiwanis Food Drive

Cameron Mathews, Writer

Every year, two separate programs are run by Fenton Rotary and the Kiwanis Club put into place to help make a difference in the community. These opportunities are given to students throughout the district to help out those in the community who may need the extra help this holiday season.

“Fenton Rotary has been in charge of the Angel Tree for about eight years now,”
counselor Michelle Pietraszkiewicz said. “The point of the Angel Tree is to help provide children in the community with toys, winter essentials and much more that they may want or need.”

There are 27 SRTs in the high school that have adopted an Angel and there are 33 kids being covered by these efforts throughout the entire building.

“This is the only time for the children being covered by Angel Tree to get essential winter items, like winter boots and winter coats, if their family is unable to provide those items for them,” Pietraszkiewicz said. “I feel that it is a great way for our students to get involved and help out.”

Every SRT receives a different child who may have multiple wants and needs on their list. Together, the students find ways to help out their child.

“We do the Angel Tree every year, and my students really enjoy having this opportunity,” English teacher Kim Adas said. “It makes them feel good about doing something like this for a complete stranger. I feel that doing the Angel Tree brings the SRT closer together.”

In order for children to qualify for the Angel Tree Program, an application must be submitted to and reviewed by the Rotary. These applications are then sorted and sent out to several different groups and organizations like FHS, that take care of the childrens’ wants and needs for the holiday season.

“I like having the opportunity to help a stranger during the holidays,” senior Julia Teatro said. “Our SRT has a baby girl for our angel and we already have a bunch of clothes. I plan to go shopping with a few other kids in my SRT and we plan to get a few more clothing items, as well as some toys.”

The Kiwanis Club runs a drive to give back. Twenty seven SRTs are participating with the Kiwanis Club to collect food for community members.

“What the Kiwanis Club does for the community with this annual food drive is truly helpful to those who need it,” Principal Mark Suchowski said. “It’s a basic human need to have food, and some folks in the community may not have the means to provide that at the holiday time.”

With the food drive, students can bring nonperishable food items into their SRTs to donate for the cause. The food is picked up by Key Club members to take to the families who receive the food.

“The students in my SRT would much rather support the Kiwanis Food Drive at this time of year,” Spanish teacher Hillary Fischer said. “We, as an SRT, try to promote it every year because it gives students the chance to bring in something of any size to donate. It also doesn’t require students to have to go out and get something big, like a gift; with the food drive, they can just bring something small from home without the extra trip.”

The goal for the food collection for FHS is 2500 nonperishable goods. There are also donations of money, that way the Kiwanis Club can purchase perishable foods, such as meats, poultry, and produce.

“I like doing the food drive because I like knowing that it’s going to help out families in our community,” senior Rachel Shegos said. “I’m bringing a few cans and our SRT is hoping to collect more than enough food to feed a family.”

There are a lot of opportunities to help those in the community who need a little extra help during the holiday season. Students can volunteer with organizations such as Key Club and NHS, which organize events to volunteer at the school with other organizations around the community. People can volunteer or donate on their own as well, such as at local soup kitchens or with organizations, such as the Salvation Army.