Experiencing the thrill with skateboarding

Kaylee Vasbinder, Content Editor

Coming down the ramp, skateboarder Brendan Gerych experiences a rush of adrenaline kick in as he is about to launch himself a couple feet into the air. Racing through his mind are possible tricks he can do. He debates between his two favorites: a switch front side 360 or a fakie 540 kick flip.

“Skateboarding is really just like any other sport,” Gerych said. “You don’t just pick it up, you have to practice and stretch. Practicing includes a lot of adjusting your foot placement and training yourself to be able to ride while your feet are in that same position. After awhile, it will come natural from experience, like it does for me.”

Having experience doesn’t necessarily mean that injuries will not happen. Professional skateboarding is one of the most dangerous extreme sports. The most adept skateboarders often suffer the greatest risk of injury because of the likelihood they will attempt more dangerous stunts than amateurs. Gerych is no exception. As an experienced skateboarder, he has tested the limits of the sport and has suffered numerous injuries as a result.

“I don’t mind injuries, because I see it coming,” Gerych said. “There are definitely bigger risk factors in skateboarding than your average high school sport. I’ve personally broken both my ankles twice, all my toes, and I just tore a ligament in my foot. Those are the worst, but they come with the sport.”

Skateboarders feed off of adrenaline. Adrenaline is a hormone that releases a ‘fight or flight’ response, giving the energy to either take on the challenge (fight), or back away from the challenge (flight). It is as much of a craving for them as it is fuel. It takes dedication to learn how to embrace adrenaline and react well to it, rather than becoming nervous and losing control. Beginners often lack knowledge of how to land properly without receiving an injury, which makes skateboarding an extreme sport.

“When you skateboard you kind of just get in a different state of mind; you’re very determined and creative. You look at the world differently,” senior Matt Wilson said. “My brother actually got me started. I do it just for fun. I know I’m not the best, but it keeps me in shape.”

Skateboard parks and event the Internet offer tutorials or lessons. The closest skate park is located on the old tennis courts at the Swartz Creek golf course.

“Skateboarding makes me happy,” Gerych said. “Nothing is more satisfying than when you land the trick and are able to roll away on all four wheels. It gives me a challenge as well, even attempting an obstacle and not rolling away is still an awesome feeling. Skateboarding is nothing more than having a good time with friends.”