Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Girls Swim and Dive team goes to States

After a victorious season for the Girls Swim and Dive team, the squad sent six individuals to the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) state finals over the weekend. Athletes that qualified included junior Kimmy Burkett, junior Addison Dolliver, freshman Katelyn Dunfield, sophomore Josie Fries, junior Tess Heavner and senior Ella Koch. States were held at the Holland Aquatic Center Nov. 17-18. 

“It was no surprise that these 6 girls made it to state finals this year,” Coach Brad Jones said.

Heavner represented Fenton High by placing in two events at the state meet. 

“I swam the 200 IM and the 100 backstroke and took first place in both, which has always been a big goal of mine,” Heavner said. “I went a 2:03.69 in the 200 IM and a 55.10 in the 100 back, which is my new varsity record.” 

Heavner also participated in two relays alongside Dolliver, Dunfield, and Fries. “We moved up two seeds and dropped time in both relays.”

Heavner recently announced that she will be continuing her swim career at the University of Notre Dame after she graduates in 2025. 

The Lady Tigers also sent Koch and Burkett, two divers, to the finals as well. Burkett is a first-year diver and was excited to qualify for states. 

“I was looking for a fall sport and was encouraged to give dive a try,” Burkett said. “I came from a gymnastics background, so I already knew the fundamentals of flips and twists. If I hadn’t done gymnastics, there is no way I would have advanced at the rate I did.” 

Burkett only improved as the season went on and placed eighth at regionals, qualifying her for the state meet. 

“Being a first-year, I didn’t really know what to expect going into the season,” Burkett said. “I was grateful and excited that I was able to compete at states.” 

Burkett placed 25th out of 36 girls and plans to dive again her senior year. 

Dunfield placed eighth in the 200 freestyle and Heavner placed first in the 200 IM and the 100 Backstroke, making both of these athletes All-State.

“The 400 freestyle relay placed 13th and the 200 medley relay placed 15th,” Jones said.

Overall, the girls swim and dive team placed 13th at the state finals and are looking forward to next season.