The student news site of Fenton High School

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Fenton InPrint Online

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The LFLF Gymnastics team heads to cancer fundraiser gymnastics meet

For the ninth year, the Linden/Fenton/Lake Fenton (LFLF) varsity gymnastics team competed in the Jeanne Caruss Memorial Invitational at Lakeland High. This meet was the largest invitational the squad will attend this season. Twenty teams were in attendance, including some of the top teams in the state. 

Though in hopes for regional qualifying scores and a record-high team total, the squad knew this meet isn’t just about winning: The main focus of this meet is to honor the memory of longtime Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) Gymnastics judge and friend Jeanne Caruss, who passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2012. 

“I knew Jeanne Caruss for probably 15 years; I would describe her as very kind and giving,” LFLF Head Coach Nancy Holden said. “She volunteered to educate coaches and judges on the sport of gymnastics.”

Each year at this event, a cash award will recognize a specific MHSAA gymnastics team in need of funding. These award funds may be allocated for new equipment, meet entry fees or to a volunteer coach. For the second year in a row, this award was presented to LFLF and given to Volunteer Assistant Coach Dani Wolanin. 

“In order to receive this award, the head coach must write an essay and submit it for review,” Wolanin said. “I was very surprised and grateful to hear that I had gotten it.”

LFLF was looking forward to attending this meet to see how much they have improved since they finished in 13 place last season. 

“The team didn’t do great at this meet last year. This year, we really worked hard, pulled through and scored well,” junior Molly Dixon said. 

On vault, Jillian Shanahan scored a 9.05, which is her personal best and placed fifth in the Division 2 category. Lake Fenton junior, Keira Sadler scored an 8.7 and Dixon earned 8.65. Linden sophomore, Mia Brown got the final counting score for vault (8.45). 

On bars, Sadler placed seventh in the D1 category with a score of 8.75. Lake Fenton sophomore, Dayne Stucky also had a strong showing with a score of 8.025. Other contributing scores include Linden junior Alida Smith (7.7) and Brown (7.65).

On beam, Sadler led the squad with a no-fall routine of 9.35, placing her seventh. Jillian Shanahan also had a no-fall routine earning an 8.5. Dixon (8.4) and Brown (8.05) also contributed to the team total. 

On the floor, once again, Sadler led LFLF with a score of 9.175, which earned her eighth place. Shanahan also had a strong performance and ended with a score of 8.775. Other contributing scores include Dixon (8.55) and Brown (8.3).

Overall, LFLF placed a strong sixth out of twenty teams, with a team total of 136.075, their new season record. The LFLF athletes will be in action at home on Feb. 1, Feb. 5, Feb. 17 or Feb. 21 at the Linden Multi-Purpose Building.  

See fentontigers.org for more information regarding the 2023-2024 Girls Varsity Gymnastics schedule.