New club is added to help children around the world

Riley Wilson, Content Editor

A new club has been created, designed to help care for children around the world who are affected negatively by hunger, natural disasters, and poverty, as well as fight for equality and disease. The club is called UNICEF, which stands for United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund.

“I always had an interest in helping children in need, and when I went to Belize for charity work and worked with the children it made me look into how I could be a bigger help, which is where I found UNICEF,” founder and president of the UNICEF club Christina Walker said. “I started looking at their website and found that there were high school clubs, so I started learning about how to make a club at Fenton.”

UNICEF clubs are able to work through the funding they solely raise. Events are planned out and the money made at the events are sent to children in need or the UNICEF organization which will find a way to transfer the money to help children.

“For this summer there is going to be a car wash and a bake sale,” Walker said. “We want to continue fundraising during the school year, possibly a student vs staff basketball game.”

Despite having just created the club, the club already has 44 members. Walker hopes to add to the number during the next school year.

“My goal is that there is a consistent group of people who come to the meetings and that we have fun at the fundraising events,” Walker said. “Most importantly, that we also make an impact on the children.”

If interested in joining the UNICEF club, contact Pam Bunka in room 5-109 for more information.