Search for new superintendent continues

PHOTO Sam B

Alexis Megdanoff, Editor in Chief

This past July former superintendent Timothy Jalkanen stepped down from the position after working for five years. Finance Director Doug Busch has been named interim superintendent until someone is found to permanently fill the position.

“I have been the Executive Director of Finance and Personnel for nine years here in Fenton,” Busch said. “Prior to this position I was a high school assistant principal in another district for four years and prior to that I started my teaching career in Fenton.”

The Board of Education is in charge of finding a new superintendent and can complete the search on their own or hire a search firm to help them.

“I think we could use an experienced leader with a definite plan ready to put in place,” senior student representative Mckenzie Mead said. “A plan that includes steps to improve the financial standing of the district and also steps to work with teachers when working to replace the MYP and PYP curriculum with something that will make Fenton stand out as the great district that it is.”

School board meetings will continue throughout the school year. The next meeting is Sep. 21 at 6 p.m. in the Administration building. While fulfilling the role of superintendent, Busch will also remain the Executive Director of Finance and Personnel while he fulfils the new position.

“I will do both jobs through the current school year,” Busch said. “I am very honored to be selected as the interim superintendent and look forward to serving the students, staff and parents of our community.”

The Board will make a decision by early spring regarding the future plans for the position.