Volleyball and soccer players raise awareness for breast cancer

Cameron Mathews, Sports Editor

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the volleyball and soccer players tried to raise awareness by gathering donations for the cause. They later played a volleyball game to begin fundraising on Oct 14.

“We have been doing this for about seven years now, and the boys and I thought it was a great way to raise money for the cause,” varsity soccer coach Matt Sullivan said. “The volleyball girls found it to be a great idea, too, so we decided to cooperate with them and raise money together.”

There are various ways for the athletes to raise money. They ask for a $1 donation and the person donating signs their t-shirt/playing jersey that would later be worn at the game. They also had a fundraiser after the game at the Fenton Buffalo Wild Wings.

“At Buffalo Wild Wings, if you present a coupon there, 15 percent of the total of your receipt will go toward Volley for a Cure,” Sullivan said. “Over the past five years that we have been doing this, we have raised just over $15,000 total; we have been raising about $3,000 per year.”

Despite with the seriousness surrounding the event, players have said that it is also enjoyable to take part in.

“We have a friendly and joking rivalry when it comes to Volley for a Cure,” sophomore Luke Dillingham said. “It was fun, because the boys knew we were going to lose anyway; but we’re still pretty competitive about it and that’s what makes the game exciting.”

Dillingham said that it is competitive between the two sides, so each side decided to make their own bet out of the fundraiser.

“The contest between the two sides is whoever raises more money than the other side, the losing side generally has to do some sort of physical punishment,” senior Jessie Eastman said. “The girls usually do sit-ups and the boys usually do push-ups. This year, the boys lost to us and had to do 10 push-ups.”

The girls raised about $1,500, and the boys raised about $1,000 from the signature donations.

“The wonderful thing about this, besides the excitement we get throughout the game, is the fact that we are helping other people,” Dillingham said. “It’s a very satisfying feeling that I think we all get in the end.”